— Search the web for an engineering related ethics/disaster cases and select one interesting case to study and write about it.
— Write a typewritten report of no less than 500 words which includes the following:
a) An introduction of the case (what happened)
b) Engineering ethics issue: comment on this in the light of IEEE code of ethics.
1. · to hold paramount the safety, health, and welfare of the public, to strive to comply with ethical design and sustainable development practices, and to disclose promptly factors that might endanger the public or the environment;
2. · to avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest whenever possible, and to disclose them to affected parties when they do exist;
3. · to be honest and realistic in stating claims or estimates based on available data;
4. · to reject bribery in all its forms;
5. · to improve the understanding by individuals and society of the capabilities and societal implications of conventional and emerging technologies, including intelligent systems;
6. · to maintain and improve our technical competence and to undertake technological tasks for others only if qualified by training or experience, or after full disclosure of pertinent limitations;
7. · to seek, accept, and offer honest criticism of technical work, to acknowledge and correct errors, and to credit properly the contributions of others;
8. · to treat fairly all persons and to not engage in acts of discrimination based on race, religion, gender, disability, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression;
9. · to avoid injuring others, their property, reputation, or employment by false or malicious action;
10. · to assist colleagues and co-workers in their professional development and to support them in following this code of ethics.
c) Mitigation: Explain what were the causes of problem/failure/disaster. What mitigation plan would you recommend to avoid this issue in future.
d) Lessons and Conclusions