Preplanning with all stakeholders is a key element in successful long-term recovery following a disaster. Understanding the potential types of debris that may follow an event is integral to planning for how it may be transported, where it will be stored, and how it will ultimately be removed from the community. This type of planning is important because it can be time consuming, expensive, and possibly dangerous to health and the environment.
Choose a case study of a disaster that occurred within the past 5 years, with adequate research material prepared to support your positions. (You can use the Library, academic papers, trade journal articles, or credible news sources.)
Write a 1,400- to 1,750-word essay documenting the selected disaster.
Include the following components in your essay:
- An operational analysis describing the following components:
- Describe the various elements of the disaster recovery process in the disaster you chose to research. In the textbook, refer to Reference Box 4.3: Debris Management Planning Checklist as a guide.
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of the different typical and atypical partners in the disaster recovery process.
- Identify various agencies, departments, companies, or organizations and what the general responsibilities would be in short-term and long-term disaster recovery planning.
- Give specific examples from the case study to demonstrate how short-term and long-term disaster recovery planning was accomplished, or how it left a gap in the planning process.
- A sustainable approach (pp. 48-53 of the text) with consideration to the following:
- Quality of life
- Economic viability
- Social equity
- Environmental quality
- Disaster resilience
- A summary of the ethical aspects of disaster recovery:
- What are the ethical issues in the case study that you selected? How would you address these issues? Explain what could have been done to prevent these issues from occurring.
Note: This Assignment will require outside research. Use at least two credible sources beyond the text material and discuss how you evaluated the credibility of the sources used. You may consult the Library, the internet, and any other outside resources in supporting your task. Use proper citations in APA style.
In addition to fulfilling the specifics of the Assignment, a successful paper must also meet the following criteria utilizing the 6th edition APA formatting style:
- Include a title page and reference page in 10–12 point font. (Arial, Courier, and Times New Roman are acceptable.)
- Viewpoint and purpose should be clearly established and sustained.
- Assignment should follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar,
- Writing should be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful.
- Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics.
- Appropriate 6th edition APA formatting style should be followed.
You should also make sure to:
- Include an APA-formatted title page with full name, class name, section number, and date
- Include an introductory and concluding paragraph and demonstrate college-level
communication through the composition of original materials in Standard English
- Use double-space and Arial or Times New Roman in 12 point font size
- Use examples to support your discussion
- Cite all sources on a separate reference page at the end of your paper and within the body of your paper using the 6th edition APA format and citation style. For more information on APA guidelines, visit the Writing Center and reviewCommon Citation in APA.