This course examines the theory and method of effective teaching in nursing with an emphasis on teaching the adult learner. To facilitate active learning the educator
must be able to identify the needs of the learner as well as strategies that will involve the learner as a lively participant in the learning environment. In this
course traditional and contemporary teaching approaches will be evaluated for use with diverse populations of learners in various settings: classroom community
healthcare facilities and clients homes. Learning theories curriculum theory and design teaching strategies and evaluation methods will be explored.
1. Develop an efficient effective needs assessment process.
2. Describe the characteristics of learning styles and effective teaching methods for each style.
3. Integrate and apply the principles of teaching-learning used in nursing education.
4. Discuss ways to incorporate cultural diversity in the teaching-learning process.
5. Identify methods of motivating resistant learners.
6. Describe innovative teaching strategies using technology.
7. Evaluate the effectiveness of selected teaching strategies.
8. Ensure the education of students results in delivery of safe quality patient care.
Rubric for Analytic Scoring of Writing
Purpose & Audience B
4 Addresses purpose Focuses consistently Explores ideas Employs words with
effectively uses assignment to explore topics intrinsic interest shows full understanding of issues engages audience establishes credibility uses headings
format and citations (where relevant) effectively. on clearly expressed central idea uses paragraph structure and transitions to guide reader effectively.
vigorously supports points fully using an appropriate balance of subjective and objective evidence reasons effectively making useful distinctions. fluency develops
concise standard English sentences balances a variety of sentence structures effectively.
3 Adheres to purpose fulfills Central idea is clear Supports most ideas Word forms are
assignment shows adequate understanding of key issues style is appropriate to intended audience presentation is readable format is correct. paragraph structure is
adequate some problems with consistency logic or transitions. with effective examples and details finds suitable balance between references to personal and
external evidence makes key distinctions. correct sentence structure is effective applies standard English grammar & mechanics presence of a few errors is not
2 Wavers in purpose Loose focus on Presents ideas in Word forms &
incompletely addresses assigned topic or directions shows need for more study of issues style varies visual presentation ragged. central idea contains some
repetition & digression structure needs work. general terms support for ideas is inconsistent or unsuitably personal or distant some distinctions need