Assignment is Due Today – 02/22/2018
Prepare: Prior to completing this discussion, be certain that you have completed the required readings in Chapters 1 and 2 of your required text, the Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. on the APA website, the article by Fishman and Messer (2013).
Reflect: In this discussion, you will examine the uses of applied behavioral science through clinical and counseling cases.
Karen confides in you that she feels down all the time. She feels hopeless, finds no enjoyment in life (sleep, food, sex, friends, etc.), and is having thoughts of suicide. Karen goes to see her family doctor who diagnoses her with major depressive disorder. Her doctor prescribes an antidepressant and recommends Karen seek professional mental health services. Based on your study this week, address each of the following:
· Identify how a clinical psychologist, counseling psychologist, and counselor might approach working with Karen.
· Defend your position with support from the reading, noting definitions and key features.
· Indicate at least one major approach to psychotherapy which would be appropriate for Karen based on the literature.
· Identify at least one type of assessment procedure or psychological test that would be useful to administer to Karen to aid in diagnosis and treatment planning.
· Examine how you, as a mental health professional, would respond to Karen and what your ethical duties are.
Write: Your initial post must be a minimum of 300 words. You must utilize at least one scholarly source (e.g., professional web source) and include in-text citations and a reference list that are in accordance with APA style
American Psychological Association. (2010). Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index.aspx
Fishman, D. B., & Messer, S. B. (2013). Pragmatic case studies as a source of unity in applied psychology. Review of General Psychology, 17(2), 156-161. doi: 10.1037/a0032927
McCarthy, C. J., DeLisi, M., Getzfeld, A. R., McCarthy, C. J., Moss-King, D. A., Mossler, R., Privitera, G. J., Spence, C., Walker, J. D., Weinberg, R. S., & Youssef-Morgan, C. M. (2016). Introduction to applied behavioral science [Electronic version]. Retrieved from https://content.ashford.edu/